Meditations on Scripture inspired by our experience as an adoptive family.

May these words of my mouth
and this meditation of my heart
be pleasing in your sight,
LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.
Psalm 19: 14


Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Super Moon


Last Saturday, May 5th was my son Grant’s birthday.  He turned 10, which in itself is amazing to me.  I just cannot believe that it has been 10 years since I received him into my arms as a - 22 inches, 8.14 oz -miracle.  But life has a way to slip away very fast.  The only thing left for us to do is to make sure we make good memories and imprint them into our hearts and minds in a way that they stay there forever.  This is exactly what I had intended on Saturday night.

One of the presents we gave Grant and his brother too, was a full-size trampoline.  They had been begging for one ever since their cousins Luke and Sarah got one last year.  Dan finally gave in and he went and got it a few days before Grant’s big day.  It was a great joy to see the look of surprise in the boys faces once they figured out what was inside the huge box their Dad was showing them. 

Right away we go to work on it and by that afternoon, it was up. 

I had heard on the radio that there was going to be a super moon shinning brighter than usual that weekend, so as we were trying out the trampoline, I told the kids about it.  I highly doubt they heard a word I said, but when we came back from dinner that night, I reminded them of the super moon.  Nobody seemed excited still.  As soon as it got dark enough, I wrapped myself in a SpongeBob blanket and announced that I was going outside to see the moon and walked out the door.  It happened that the moon was still behind some trees, so I climbed on the trampoline and instantly got a much better view.  The kids followed and finally, in the light of the super moon, I saw the look of awe in their little faces. 

We jumped for a while, giving the moon time to climb higher in the night sky.  Only a few minutes later, and there it was, the most superb moon I’ve ever seen.  The light brightened up our backyard and the light bounced off the dark trampoline matt like a spotlight.  I said a few things about how we are to be like the moon and reflect the light, the Divine Light we have in us.  I reminded them how Jesus is the Light of the World and since He lives in us, we are His light and we need to let it shine.  I said many things, which I’m sure they half-heard, until I finally decided to lay down on the trampoline to contemplate the super moon in silence.  Dylan laid down next to me and later Grant did the same.  We laid down in silence for a long while, basking in that glorious and miraculous gift from God. 

I don’t know about my boys, but I sure accomplished what I wanted that evening.  I made a memory that would last me a lifetime.  I don’t think I could ever forget the day my older son turned 10 years old.  I don’t think I could ever forget how we are called to be the light of the world.

 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.”
Matthew 5: 14-16

No comments:

Post a Comment