Meditations on Scripture inspired by our experience as an adoptive family.

May these words of my mouth
and this meditation of my heart
be pleasing in your sight,
LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.
Psalm 19: 14


Wednesday, February 8, 2012

A Journey to Surrender – Part II


A Ray of Hope Parted the Clouds of Hopelessness…

After the miscarriage, I really felt like my mother had died all over again…and worse…I felt hopeless, empty, like a failure, like I had done something wrong that had caused the miscarriage.  It was all my fault.  If I had stayed home for the entire pregnancy maybe…if I had stayed in bed longer…If I had taken more progesterone…less estrogen….or maybe it was the doctor’s fault…I was angry too…why did God do this to us…I knew we could be good parents…why us…why not the teenage girl that has no business having kids at 14…why not people who already have 15 kids, and can’t support another one…why us…why?  I needed some time to grieve, to morn…to heal.

Time came for Dan and I to go back to the follow up appointment with the doctor. So we got to his clinic with our list of angry questions and comments.  We talked to the doctor about our concerns and all he could say was…we don’t know why miscarriages happen, but they do happen and they are nobody’s fault.  After we vented to him, we felt empty inside.  Dan and I sat there a minute in silence, not knowing what else to complain about, then the doctor spoke.  He told us:  “well, my clinic has been selected for a nation-wide study to test a new in vitro drug that is supposed to be more effective, and I needed to come out with 20 women for this study, I have 19 so far, and you qualify for the study, so I wanted to ask you if you’d be willing to try this again as part of the study…if you participate, you won’t have to pay more than a minimum amount, the rest will be free to you as a participant…”  I don’t know what else he said…I stopped listening after the word “free”…Dan and I looked at each other and I was overcome by a combination of guilt, remorse, humility and incredible gratitude.  I was so very humbled by this experience, that all I could think of was on the mysterious ways of the Lord’s providence.

Well…we did the procedure again.  We got 4 embryos and replaced 2 and put 2 in the freezer.  The two left in the freezer did not look really strong, but in they went to become popsicles.  We went through the whole thing once again and on the day of the dreaded phone call after the pregnancy test…the nurse said that we didn’t get pregnant after all…the disappointment was unbearable. 

We didn’t understand why God had put this second chance in front of us if it wasn’t going to work at all…so we decided to take a break.  By then, my father needed surgery, so I went to Panama to be with him for a month.  He ended up having prostate cancer, and once again, I couldn’t stay for the length of his radiation treatment…so I came back home burdened by this reality. 

It was about one year later from the second failure that we decided to transfer the frozen embryos for one last attempt.  This procedure is one tenth of the price of the full procedure, so we were ready for it financially.  Emotionally, however, we didn’t really have any expectations of success.  By then we had seriously started looking into adoption, so we decided to replace the frozen embryos just so they wouldn’t be left in the freezer and thus avoid that whole dilemma with frozen embryos.  And, since failure was a sure thing, we would start the adoption process after it was all over.  

Scripture to Ponder:  “But now, Lord, what do I look for? 
                         My hope is in you. Psalm 39:7 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment