Meditations on Scripture inspired by our experience as an adoptive family.

May these words of my mouth
and this meditation of my heart
be pleasing in your sight,
LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.
Psalm 19: 14


Saturday, February 4, 2012

Right Around the Corner


A few days ago I read an article online where a godly woman had fallen in love with an extravagant purse.  She became obsessed with that purse, so much so that she spent a lot of her time daydreaming about it.  One day, during her daily devotions, she heard the voice of God telling her that she could not have the purse, even if they gave it to her for free.  After I finished reading it, I realized that the article had struck a cord in me.  Not only did I recognize that God does speak to us in our every-day-mundane-experiences; but I also happen to be a “purse lady,” myself. 

Like the author of the article, God had clearly denied me some of the dearest desires of my heart; and, as the “purse lady,” I was left to longingly stare at the beloved accessory, from a distance, behind its glass case, out of my reach.  Like that purse, God had placed things, people, places and accomplishments outside the realm of the possible for me.  Like the guy I was convinced was the one and God said no, because He had the real one waiting for me just around the corner.  Like my desire for friends who live nearby, or children who obey, a husband who does what I say, an organized house, an SUV, a washer that works, a new kitchen; all no, no, no or perhaps, wait. 

Like the day when I found out that my sister in law got pregnant the good old fashion way after battling infertility for years.  Infertility was something we shared; but only until then.  That night I wrestled with God.  There she was, pregnant.  There I was, in the middle of the complications of international adoption.  There she was, praising God for the miracle.  There I was, knowing in my heart that God had said no to me again.  It was something that I knew I could not face alone. 

When day broke, exhausted and defeated, He took me in His loving arms and comforted me by giving me a peace that surpasses all understanding.  He brought me out of the darkness of disappointment into the light of hope and acceptance.  He showed me that I was right in thinking that I would not able to face this alone.  He didn’t expect me to.  He would stand next to me instead, every step of the way as my Strong Tower.  He showed me how He had something better waiting for me right around the corner; if I’d just trust Him and His perfect timing.  He told me that He would provide the perfect portion of what I needed to endure, accept and embrace the way my life was supposed to be.

Therefore, the “mythical” purse of the article is real.  It is not a silly story.  It is the story of how God is more interested in building our character than in keeping us comfortable.  That’s why, sometimes, our Lord says no for the sake of His plan; a plan that, more often than not I don’t understand; a plan that, more often than needed, I question; but a plan that, nonetheless, I accept because I know it is perfect in the end.  I just have to wait in Him.  He always has something better waiting for me…for us, right around the corner.

For Personal Meditation:  
Think of something that you thought you wanted so badly that you could not live without, which was denied to you, broke your heart, to then realize that there was something better waiting for you right around the corner.

Bible Verse to Ponder on:
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment